Scraping up a payment for overpriced Pontiac Solstice insurance in Philadelphia can overdraw your funds and put a big crunch on your finances. Performing a rate comparison can save money and help to lower your bills every month.
It's hard to fathom, but a large majority of consumers have stayed with the same insurance company for at least the last four years, and practically 40% of car insurance customers have never taken the time to shop around. Many consumers in Philadelphia can cut their rates by 55% a year by just shopping around, but they just don't understand how easy it is to compare rates and save money. Online insurance companies like State Farm, GEICO and Farmers Insurance all claim big savings with advertising and it is difficult to separate fact from fiction and do the work needed to find the best deal.
You should take the time to do price comparisons quite often because prices change quite often. Even if you think you had the lowest quotes on Pontiac Solstice insurance in Philadelphia a couple years back you may be paying too much now. Forget all the misinformation about car insurance because you're going to get a crash course in how to use the internet to remove unneeded coverages and save money.
If you're already insured or just want a better rate, follow these tips to save money without sacrificing coverage. Locating the best rates in Philadelphia is actually quite easy if you know where to start. Vehicle owners just need to learn the quickest way to shop for insurance from multiple carriers.
Auto insurance providers offering affordable rates in Pennsylvania
The auto insurance companies shown below provide price comparisons in Philadelphia, PA. If multiple providers are shown, it's highly recommended you visit several of them to find the cheapest auto insurance rates.
Lower rates by qualifying for these six discounts
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but you may be missing some discounts that you may not even be aware of. A few discounts will be applied when you quote, but less common discounts must be specifically requested before you get the savings.
- Defensive Driver Discount - Participating in a defensive driver course is a good idea and can lower rates and easily pay for the cost of the class.
- Driving Data Discount - Drivers who elect to allow their insurance company to scrutinize their driving habits by using a telematics device in their vehicle like Drivewise from Allstate or In-Drive from State Farm might see lower rates as long as they are good drivers.
- Claim Free - Claim-free drivers get the best auto insurance rates compared to drivers who are more careless.
- Life Insurance Discount - Not every insurance company offers life insurance, but if they do you may earn a discount if you purchase some life insurance too.
- More Vehicles More Savings - Drivers who insure primary and secondary vehicles with the same auto insurance company qualifies for this discount.
- Passive Restraint Discount - Vehicles equipped with air bags or automatic seat belts may qualify for discounts of 25 to 30%.
As a disclaimer on discounts, some credits don't apply to the entire cost. Most only cut individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. Despite the fact that it seems like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, companies don't profit that way. But all discounts will definitely lower your auto insurance premiums.
A list of auto insurance companies and a partial list of their discounts can be found below.
- GEICO discounts include air bags, membership and employees, daytime running lights, five-year accident-free, defensive driver, good student, and seat belt use.
- MetLife may offer discounts for good driver, claim-free, multi-policy, good student, accident-free, defensive driver
- Progressive may include discounts for multi-vehicle, homeowner, online signing, online quote discount, continuous coverage, and multi-policy.
- Travelers has discounts for hybrid/electric vehicle, multi-policy, new car, good student, and driver training.
- SAFECO may have discounts that include homeowner, anti-lock brakes, bundle discounts, safe driver, and teen safe driver.
- AAA offers premium reductions for anti-theft, good driver, multi-policy, education and occupation, good student, and multi-car.
It's a good idea to ask each insurance company which discounts they offer. All car insurance discounts may not apply to policies everywhere. To view insurers who offer online Pontiac Solstice insurance quotes in Pennsylvania, click this link.
When to get professional advice
When it comes to coverage online or from an agent, there really is not a single plan that fits everyone. Everyone's needs are different so your insurance needs to address that. For example, these questions may help you determine whether or not you would benefit from an agent's advice.
- Is my custom stereo system covered?
- Do I need replacement cost coverage on my Pontiac Solstice?
- Does my policy cover me if I wreck while driving under the influence?
- Am I covered if I break a side mirror?
- Will I lose any money if I cancel my policy before it expires?
- Why does it cost so much to insure a teen driver in Philadelphia?
- At what point should I drop full coverage?
- Are there companies who specialize in insuring high-risk drivers?
- Am I covered if I crash into my own garage door?
- Should I buy only the required Pennsylvania minimum liability coverage?
If you don't know the answers to these questions but you think they might apply to your situation, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It's fast, doesn't cost anything and can help protect your family.
Insurance agencies near you
Many drivers still prefer to get professional advice from a licensed agent and that can be a smart move Experienced insurance agents can make sure you are properly covered and help in the event of a claim. One of the benefits of comparing auto insurance online is that you can obtain better rates and still choose a local agent.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this quick form, your insurance coverage information is sent to participating agents in Philadelphia who will return price quotes for your insurance coverage. It's much easier because you don't need to do any legwork as quotes are delivered to you. If you have a need to get a rate quote from a specific auto insurance provider, don't hesitate to visit that company's website and give them your coverage information.
Finding a good provider should include more criteria than just a cheap quote. Before buying a policy in Philadelphia, get answers to these questions.
- Does the company have a solid financial rating?
- Is the agency active in community causes in Philadelphia?
- How much experience to they have in personal lines coverages?
- Will the agent or a CSR service your policy?
- Which company do they place the most coverage with?
- How much will you save each year by using a higher deductible?
Compare rates from both independent and exclusive car insurance agents
If you want to use a local agent, you should know the types of agencies from which to choose. Insurance agencies in Philadelphia can be described as either exclusive or independent. Either can provide auto insurance policies, but it's a good idea to understand how they are different because it can factor into which type of agent you select.
Exclusive agencies can only quote rates from one company and examples are Farmers Insurance and State Farm. They usually cannot provide rate quotes from other companies so it's a take it or leave it situation. Exclusive insurance agents are usually quite knowledgeable on sales techniques which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates.
The following is a list of exclusive insurance agencies in Philadelphia who can help you get price quote information.
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents in the independent channel are normally appointed by many insurers so they have the ability to put coverage amongst many companies and potentially find a lower price. If your premiums go up, the agent simply finds a different carrier and you can keep the same agent. If you need lower rates, you need to get some free quotes from independent agents so that you can do a thorough price comparison.
Listed below are independent agencies in Philadelphia that can give you comparison quotes.
After you get reasonable responses to any questions you have and a low price estimate, you've probably found an insurance agency that is a good match to service your policy. Just remember you can always cancel your policy whenever you want so never feel you are locked into any specific company with no way out.
Insurance coverage breakdown
Understanding the coverages of a insurance policy aids in choosing appropriate coverage and the correct deductibles and limits. Insurance terms can be difficult to understand and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. Below you'll find typical coverage types available from insurance companies.
Your UM/UIM coverage gives you protection when other motorists either have no liability insurance or not enough. Covered losses include medical payments for you and your occupants as well as damage to your Pontiac Solstice.
Due to the fact that many Pennsylvania drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits (Pennsylvania limits are 15/30/5), their limits can quickly be used up. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is important protection for you and your family.
Coverage for liability
Liability insurance can cover injuries or damage you cause to a person or their property. Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. Your policy might show liability limits of 15/30/5 which stand for $15,000 bodily injury coverage, a per accident bodily injury limit of $30,000, and property damage coverage for $5,000.
Liability coverage pays for things like pain and suffering, funeral expenses, emergency aid and court costs. How much coverage you buy is up to you, but you should buy as high a limit as you can afford. Pennsylvania state minimum liability requirements are 15/30/5 but you should consider buying better liability coverage.
The chart below shows why buying the state minimum limits may not provide adequate coverage.
Medical costs insurance
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP provide coverage for immediate expenses for surgery, pain medications and dental work. They can be used to fill the gap from your health insurance policy or if there is no health insurance coverage. They cover both the driver and occupants and will also cover if you are hit as a while walking down the street. PIP coverage is not an option in every state but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Comprehensive or Other Than Collision
This coverage pays for damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. A deductible will apply then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against claims such as fire damage, theft, falling objects and damage from a tornado or hurricane. The maximum payout your insurance company will pay is the cash value of the vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much it's probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
This pays to fix your vehicle from damage resulting from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. You will need to pay your deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision coverage pays for claims such as sideswiping another vehicle, colliding with another moving vehicle, scraping a guard rail and sustaining damage from a pot hole. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so consider removing coverage from older vehicles. You can also raise the deductible on your Solstice in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Don't give up on affordable coverage
When shopping online for auto insurance, don't be tempted to buy less coverage just to save a little money. There are many occasions where an insured dropped liability limits or collision coverage only to discover later that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your aim should be to buy enough coverage for the lowest cost.
We covered quite a bit of information on how to save on Pontiac Solstice insurance in Philadelphia. It's most important to understand that the more you quote Philadelphia auto insurance, the better chance you'll have of finding inexpensive Philadelphia auto insurance quotes. Drivers may even discover the lowest rates come from a small local company. Regional companies may only write in your state and offer lower car insurance rates than the large multi-state companies such as State Farm, GEICO and Nationwide.
For more information, feel free to browse these articles:
- All About Airbag Safety (State Farm)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Infrequent Drivers in Philadelphia? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Rates for a Toyota Camry in Philadelphia? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Philadelphia Auto Insurance for Lyft Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Welfare Recipients in Philadelphia? (FAQ)
- Reducing Your Risks in a Car Crash Video (iihs.org)
- Safe Vehicles for Teens (iihs.org)