Having to pay for overpriced Scion tC insurance in Philadelphia can dry up your monthly budget and force you to make sacrifices. Price shopping at each renewal is recommended to make sure you’re not throwing money away.
Unbelievable but true according to a study nearly 70% of Pennsylvania drivers kept their policy with the same company for at least the last four years, and just under half have never compared rates with other companies. American insurance shoppers could save almost 47% every year by just comparing quotes, but they don’t want to spend time to find cheap insurance by shopping around. Lots of insurance companies contend for your business, and because of this it can be hard to compare car insurance companies to find the absolute best rate on Scion tC insurance in Philadelphia.
It’s important to check auto insurance prices as often as possible because prices change frequently. Despite the fact that you may have had the best price on Scion tC insurance in Philadelphia a few years ago you may be paying too much now. Forget all the misinformation about auto insurance because you’re about to learn how to use online quotes to properly buy coverages while reducing your premium.
Lowering your car insurance rates is pretty simple and can save money. You just need to spend a little time to compare rates online with multiple companies.
It’s so simple to compare car insurance price quotes online makes it a waste of time to waste gas driving to insurance agents’ offices. Comparing Scion tC insurance rate quotes online eliminates the middleman unless your situation requires the trained advice of a local agency. Some companies do allow you to comparison shop your insurance online but still have the advice of a local agent.
The car insurance companies shown below can provide quotes in Pennsylvania. If more than one company is shown, it’s highly recommended you click on several of them to find the lowest car insurance rates.
Auto insurance does more than just repair your car
Despite the potentially high cost of Scion tC insurance, insurance serves a purpose in several ways.
- Most states have minimum liability requirements which means state laws require specific limits of liability insurance in order to be legal. In Pennsylvania these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your tC with a loan, most lenders will force you to buy full coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If the policy lapses, the bank will be required to insure your Scion at a significantly higher premium and require you to fork over a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Auto insurance protects not only your car but also your financial assets. It also can pay for most medical and hospital costs incurred in an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, will also pay for a defense attorney if you are sued as the result of your driving. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, comprehensive and collision coverage will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of buying enough insurance more than offset the price you pay, especially for larger claims. Despite what companies tell you, the average driver is overpaying more than $865 each year so compare rates each time the policy renews to save money.
Rates and statistics
The data table displayed next highlights estimates of insurance premium costs for Scion tC models. Learning a little about how car insurance premiums are established is important to be able to make smart policy decisions.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|TC 2-Dr Hatchback||$196||$482||$386||$22||$116||$1,202||$100|
|Get Your Own Customized Quote Go|
Table data assumes married female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Pennsylvania minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, safe-driver, homeowner, multi-policy, and multi-vehicle. Rate information does not factor in specific zip code location which can lower or raise premium rates greatly.
Full coverage versus liability only rates
The illustration below shows the comparison of Scion tC premium costs with and without physical damage coverage. The price estimates are based on no tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, single status, and no other discounts are factored in.
Are you wasting money on full coverage?
There is no clear-cut formula of when to eliminate physical damage coverage, but there is a general guideline you can use. If the annual cost of coverage is about 10% or more of any settlement you would receive from your insurance company, then it may be the right time to buy liability only.
For example, let’s assume your Scion tC book value is $3,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is severely damaged, the most you would receive is $2,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If it’s costing in excess of $200 annually for physical damage coverage, then it may be the right time to buy liability only.
There are some circumstances where dropping physical damage coverage is not in your best interest. If you still have a loan on your vehicle, you have to carry full coverage as part of the loan conditions. Also, if you cannot afford to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is totaled, you should maintain full coverage.
Affordable Scion tC insurance rates in Philadelphia
Not many people think insurance is cheap, but you might be missing out on some discounts that may help make it more affordable. A few discounts will automatically apply at quote time, but some may not be applied and must be requested specifically in order for you to get them. If you are not receiving all the discounts you qualify for, you could be paying more than you need to.
- Student in College – College-age children living away from Philadelphia attending college and do not have access to a covered vehicle can receive lower rates.
- Auto/Home Discount – If you can combine your homeowners and auto policy with one company you may save over 10 percent off each policy depending on the company.
- Early Signing – Some insurance companies provide a discount for buying a policy early. This discount can save up to 10%.
- Air Bag Discount – Cars that have air bags or motorized seat belts may qualify for discounts of 20% or more.
- Cautious Drivers – Accident-free drivers may save up to 50% more compared to rates paid by drivers with frequent claims.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Cars, trucks, and SUVs optioned with advanced anti-theft systems help deter theft and will qualify for a discount on a Philadelphia auto insurance quote.
- Multiple Vehicles – Having more than one vehicle with the same auto insurance company can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
- Philadelphia Homeowners Pay Less – Just being a homeowner may earn you a small savings since owning and maintaining a home is proof of financial responsibility.
Drivers should understand that some credits don’t apply to the entire policy premium. Most only apply to individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. If you do the math and it seems like it’s possible to get free car insurance, it’s just not the way it works. But any discount will bring down the amount you pay for coverage.
The information below illustrates the comparison of Scion tC auto insurance costs with and without discounts applied to the premium. The price estimates are based on a male driver, no violations or claims, Pennsylvania state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $1,000 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with marriage, multi-car, multi-policy, safe-driver, homeowner, and claim-free discounts applied.
Companies and the discounts they provide are detailed below.
- State Farm offers discounts for Drive Safe & Save, defensive driving training, anti-theft, multiple policy, and passive restraint.
- Progressive offers discounts including homeowner, online quote discount, multi-policy, continuous coverage, and good student.
- Travelers may include discounts for multi-car, new car, payment discounts, multi-policy, home ownership, IntelliDrive, and hybrid/electric vehicle.
- American Family has savings for good student, multi-vehicle, good driver, early bird, bundled insurance, and mySafetyValet.
- Liberty Mutual may have discounts that include new graduate, newly retired, new move discount, new vehicle discount, newly married, good student, and hybrid vehicle.
Before buying, ask every insurance company to apply every possible discount. Some discounts listed above might not be offered on policies in Philadelphia.
When should I have guidance from an agent?
Many drivers just prefer to get advice from a local agent and that can be a smart move Professional insurance agents are highly skilled in risk management and help you file claims. The biggest benefit of getting free rate quotes online is you may find lower rates and still have an agent to talk to.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this form (opens in new window), your information gets sent to companies in Philadelphia who will give you quotes to get your business. There is no reason to drive around due to the fact that quote results will go instantly to you. If you want to quote rates from a specific insurance company, don’t hesitate to navigate to their website to submit a rate quote request.
Selecting an provider requires more thought than just a cheap quote. These questions are important to ask:
- Do they specialize in personal lines coverage in Philadelphia?
- Are they able to provide referrals?
- Are there any hidden costs in their price quote and does it include driving and credit history?
- What insurance companies do they work with in Philadelphia?
- Will high miles depreciate repair valuations?
- Does the agency have a positive business rating?
- Do they see any coverage gaps in your plan?
- Will your rates increase after a single accident?
How much auto insurance do I need?
When it comes to choosing adequate coverage for your vehicles, there really isn’t a perfect coverage plan. Your needs are unique to you so your insurance needs to address that.
For instance, these questions may help highlight whether or not you may require specific advice.
- Do I have coverage if I rent a car in Mexico?
- At what point should I drop full coverage?
- Can I pay claims out-of-pocket if I buy high deductibles?
- What is the difference between comprehensive and collision coverage?
- Should I buy additional glass protection?
- Do I need to call my car insurance company before buying a new car?
If you can’t answer these questions, you might consider talking to a licensed insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, simply complete this short form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It is quick, free and can provide invaluable advice.
Specifics of your car insurance policy
Understanding the coverages of car insurance aids in choosing which coverages you need at the best deductibles and correct limits. Car insurance terms can be difficult to understand and coverage can change by endorsement. These are typical coverages available from car insurance companies.
Insurance for medical payments – Med pay and PIP coverage provide coverage for immediate expenses like hospital visits, ambulance fees, nursing services, prosthetic devices and dental work. They can be used to fill the gap from your health insurance policy or if you do not have health coverage. Medical payments and PIP cover all vehicle occupants as well as if you are hit as a while walking down the street. PIP is only offered in select states but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Liability auto insurance – This provides protection from damages or injuries you inflict on a person or their property. It protects YOU against other people’s claims. It does not cover damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
It consists of three limits, per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. You commonly see liability limits of 15/30/5 that translate to a $15,000 limit per person for injuries, a per accident bodily injury limit of $30,000, and $5,000 of coverage for damaged property.
Liability coverage pays for things like legal defense fees, pain and suffering, attorney fees, bail bonds and funeral expenses. How much coverage you buy is up to you, but buy higher limits if possible. Pennsylvania requires minimum liability limits of 15/30/5 but you should think about purchasing better liability coverage.
The chart below shows why buying low liability limits may not be high enough to adequately cover claims.
Collision – Collision insurance pays for damage to your tC resulting from colliding with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. A deductible applies then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision coverage protects against claims such as driving through your garage door, scraping a guard rail and rolling your car. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from vehicles that are 8 years or older. Another option is to raise the deductible on your tC to bring the cost down.
Uninsured Motorist or Underinsured Motorist insurance – This protects you and your vehicle when the “other guys” either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. Covered losses include injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants and damage to your Scion tC.
Since many Pennsylvania drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (15/30/5), it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is very important.
Comprehensive coverage (or Other than Collision) – This covers damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You need to pay your deductible first then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers things such as fire damage, vandalism, damage from flooding and theft. The maximum payout you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the actual cash value, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Car insurance savings summarized
When getting Philadelphia auto insurance quotes online, make sure you don’t reduce coverage to reduce premium. In too many instances, consumers will sacrifice uninsured motorist or liability limits and discovered at claim time that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your strategy should be to get the best coverage possible at the best possible price, but do not skimp to save money.
We’ve covered some good ideas how you can save on Scion tC insurance in Philadelphia. The most important thing to understand is the more you quote Philadelphia auto insurance, the higher your chance of finding cheaper Philadelphia auto insurance quotes. Consumers could even find that the best premium rates are with a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising. Some small companies may have significantly lower prices on certain market segments than their larger competitors like Progressive or GEICO.
Low-cost Scion tC insurance in Philadelphia is attainable both online and with local Philadelphia insurance agents, so you need to shop Philadelphia auto insurance with both to have the best selection. Some insurance providers may not provide online rate quotes and most of the time these smaller providers work with local independent agents.
Even more information is located in the articles below:
- Teen Driving Statistics (GEICO)
- How Much are Philadelphia Car Insurance Rates for a Ford Escape? (FAQ)
- Safe Vehicles for Teens (iihs.org)
- Auto Insurance Facts and Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- All About Airbag Safety (State Farm)
- Self-driving cars won’t replace humans (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)