Do you need a better way to compare lower-priced Chevy Volt insurance in Philadelphia? Trying to find cheaper insurance for a Chevy Volt in Pennsylvania can be an all-consuming task, but you can learn our insurance buying tips to save time.
There are both good and bad ways to shop for insurance and you need to know the proper way to quote coverages for your Chevy and get the best price possible either online or from Philadelphia insurance agents.
You should make it a habit to quote other rates every six months because insurance rates are rarely the same from one policy term to another. Even if you think you had the best premium rates on Chevy Volt insurance in Philadelphia at your last renewal the chances are good that you can find a lower price today. Block out anything you think you know about insurance because I’m going to teach you the right way to remove unneeded coverages and save money.
Eight factors that determine insurance premiums
Part of the insurance buying process is learning the rating factors that are used to determine your policy premiums. If you know what controls the rates you pay, this enables you to make decisions that can help you get lower rates.
Shown below are some of the most common factors that factor into rates.
Is your vehicle theft-ready? – Purchasing a vehicle that has an advanced theft prevention system can get you a discount on your insurance. Systems that thwart thieves such as OnStar found on GM vehicles, advanced tracking like LoJack, and vehicle immobilization systems all help stop vehicle theft.
Younger drivers are expensive to insure – Youthful drivers in Pennsylvania are statistically proven to be less responsible in a vehicle so they pay higher insurance rates. Adding a beginning driver onto a policy can increase premiums substantially. Older, more experienced drivers are shown to be more cautious, file fewer claims, and are safer drivers.
Vehicles with better crash test results cost less to insure – Cars with five star safety ratings are cheaper to insure. Vehicles engineered for safety reduce the chance of injuries and lower rates of occupant injuries means your insurance company pays less and cheaper rates on your policy. If your Chevy Volt has at least four stars on Safercar.gov or an “acceptable” rating on iihs.org it is probably cheaper to insure.
Frequent insurance claims will cost you more – If you frequently file small claims, you should expect higher rates. Companies in Pennsylvania generally give discounts to drivers who do not file claims often. Insurance coverage is intended to be relied upon for the large, substantial claims.
Driving citations inflate prices – Having a clean driving record has a lot to do with how much you pay for insurance. Drivers who don’t get tickets have lower premiums than their less careful counterparts. Just one moving violation may cause rates to rise by as much as twenty percent. Drivers with severe violations such as reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may find they need to maintain a SR-22 to the state department of motor vehicles in order to legally drive.
Stress out and pay more – Careers like real estate brokers, airline pilots, and medical professionals tend to pay the highest average rates due to job stress and incredibly demanding work hours. On the other hand, jobs like farmers, students and the unemployed have lower than average premiums.
Incidental coverages can cost a lot – There are quite a few extra add-on coverages that can waste your money but may not be useful. Add-on coverages like personal injury protection, death and dismemberment, and membership fees may not be needed and are just wasting money. They may seem good when you first buy your policy, but if you have no use for them get rid of them and save.
Type of car determines base prices – The make and model of the car or truck you own makes a significant difference in your premium level. Lower cost passenger vehicles usually have the lowest rates, but many other things help determine your insurance rates.
Claims statistics for a Chevy Volt – Insurance companies use historical loss data when setting rates for each model. Vehicles that the data shows to have higher claim frequency or loss amount will have increased rates.
The table shown below demonstrates the loss history for Chevy Volt vehicles. For each type of coverage, the loss probability for all vehicles as a whole is a value of 100. Values that are 100 or less suggest a better than average loss history, while values over 100 point to more claims or statistically larger losses.
|Vehicle Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Chevrolet Volt Electric||89||83||81||71||73||90|
Statistics from IIHS.org for 2013-2015 Model Years
Getting a cheaper price on Chevy Volt insurance is an easy way to save money. Consumers just need to invest a little time to compare rates provided by online insurance companies.
The auto insurance companies shown below provide free rate quotes in Pennsylvania. If more than one company is shown, we suggest you visit several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Best reasons to buy auto insurance in Pennsylvania
Even though it’s not necessarily cheap to insure a Chevy in Philadelphia, insuring your vehicle is required in Pennsylvania but also provides important benefits.
- The majority of states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to carry a minimum amount of liability protection if you drive a vehicle. In Pennsylvania these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Chevy Volt has a loan, it’s guaranteed your bank will stipulate that you have full coverage to guarantee loan repayment. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the lender will be forced to insure your Chevy for a much higher rate and force you to pay the higher premium.
- Auto insurance protects both your assets and your car. Insurance will also pay for all forms of medical expenses that are the result of an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, will also pay attorney fees if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If you have damage to your Chevy as the result of the weather or an accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance are definitely more than the cost, especially when you need to use it. Unknowingly, the average driver overpays as much as $750 every year so you should quote and compare rates once a year at a minimum to save money.
Don’t neglect these discounts on Chevy Volt insurance in Philadelphia
Auto insurance companies don’t always advertise every discount they offer very clearly, so the list below contains a few of the more common as well as some of the hidden discounts that may be available. If they aren’t giving you every credit possible, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- Military Deployment Discount – Being deployed with a military unit could mean lower insurance rates.
- Early Renewal Discounts – Some insurance companies provide a discount for buying a new policy prior to your current Volt insurance policy expiring. It could save around 10% when you buy Philadelphia auto insurance online.
- Club Memberships – Belonging to specific professional or occupational memberships or organizations can get you a small discount on your policy.
- Homeowners Savings – Owning a house in Philadelphia can earn you a little savings since owning and maintaining a home means you have a higher level of financial diligence.
- Senior Citizen Rates – Drivers over the age of 55 can possibly qualify for a discount up to 10%.
- Use Seat Belts – Requiring all passengers to buckle up could save 15% on medical payment and PIP coverage.
As a footnote on discounts, some of the credits will not apply to the whole policy. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. Even though it may seem like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, you’re out of luck.
Some companies that have these money-saving discounts include:
It’s a good idea to ask all companies you are considering which discounts they offer. A few discounts may not be offered in Philadelphia. To see insurers who offer cheap Chevy Volt insurance quotes in Philadelphia, click this link.
Insurance agencies near you
A lot of people would prefer to have an agent’s advice. Good insurance agents are trained risk managers and help you file claims. The best thing about getting free rate quotes online is the fact that you can find the lowest rates and still have a local agent. And buying from local agents is important especially in Philadelphia.
Upon completion of this short form, your information is emailed to agents in your area that can give you free Philadelphia auto insurance quotes to get your business. You never need to even leave your home as quotes are delivered instantly to you. If you want to get a price quote from a specific company, don’t hesitate to visit that company’s website and complete a quote there.
Types of car insurance agents
If you want a reliable insurance agency, it can be helpful to understand the different agency structures and how they differ in how they quote coverages. Insurance agencies in Philadelphia may be either independent or exclusive. Both types of agents can sell and service insurance coverage, but it’s worth mentioning the difference between them because it may have an impact on which type of agent you select.
Independent Insurance Agents (or Brokers)
Agents in the independent channel do not have single company limitations so they can insure your vehicles with an assortment of companies and find the cheapest insurance rates. If premiums increase, the business is moved internally and the insured can keep the same agent.
If you are comparing insurance prices, you should always compare prices from a few independent agents to get the best comparison. Most have the option of insuring with less well-known companies that may provide cheaper insurance rates.
Listed below is a short list of independent insurance agencies in Philadelphia who may provide pricing information.
- The Miles Insurance Agency Inc
7100 Cresheim Rd – Philadelphia, PA 19119 – (215) 753-7770 – View Map
- National Insurance Agency
2414 Rhawn St – Philadelphia, PA 19152 – (215) 332-1100 – View Map
- Savage Insurance Agency LLC
300 W Cheltenham Ave – Philadelphia, PA 19126 – (215) 224-4890 – View Map
These agents can only quote rates from one company and some examples include AAA, State Farm, Farmers Insurance, and Allstate. They are unable to provide rate quotes from other companies so it’s a take it or leave it situation. Exclusive agents are well trained on the products they sell which helps them compete with independent agents. Consumers often use the same agent primarily because of the brand instead of buying on price only.
The following are exclusive insurance agents in Philadelphia that can give you price quotes.
- Jerry Gregory – State Farm Insurance Agent
2999 Welsh Rd – Philadelphia, PA 19152 – (215) 338-3313 – View Map
- Ahida Garcia – State Farm Insurance Agent
716 Adams Ave Ste 8 – Philadelphia, PA 19124 – (215) 533-5550 – View Map
- Trish Floyd – State Farm Insurance Agent
7706 Castor Ave – Philadelphia, PA 19152 – (215) 725-3000 – View Map
Finding the right car insurance agent requires you to look at more than just a cheap price. You should also get answers to these questions.
- Are they involved in claim handling?
- What company holds the largest book of business for them?
- Where are claims handled?
- Will they give you a referral list?
- Which members of your family are coverage by the policy?
- Who are their largest clients?
- In the event of vehicle damage, can you pick the collision repair facility?
When to get professional advice
When choosing coverage online or from an agent, there really is no one size fits all plan. Your financial needs are unique.
These are some specific questions can aid in determining whether or not you will benefit from professional help.
- What is the minimum liability in Pennsylvania?
- What is no-fault insurance?
- Is upholstery damage covered by car insurance?
- Am I covered if I drive in a foreign country?
- Am I covered if hit by an uninsured driver?
- Are combined or split liability limits better?
- Do I pay less if my vehicle is kept in my garage?
- Am I covered when pulling a rental trailer?
- Do I need motorclub coverage?
- Do I need higher collision deductibles?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions, you might consider talking to an insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, take a second and complete this form. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and can provide invaluable advice.
Persistence is the key to cheap rates
Drivers leave their current company for any number of reasons including denial of a claim, an unsatisfactory settlement offer, policy non-renewal and policy cancellation. No matter why you want to switch, finding a new company is actually quite simple.
Cheaper Chevy Volt insurance in Philadelphia can be sourced on the web and from local insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best selection. Some insurance providers do not provide internet price quotes and many times these small, regional companies sell through independent insurance agents.
In this article, we covered a lot of information how to lower your Chevy Volt insurance rates in Philadelphia. The key concept to understand is the more companies you get auto insurance rates for, the higher your chance of finding affordable Chevrolet Volt insurance quotes. Consumers may even find the lowest priced car insurance comes from some of the smallest insurance companies.
More learning opportunities
- New Honda safety features benefit drivers of all ages (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates for a Honda CR-V in Philadelphia? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Philadelphia Auto Insurance for Lyft Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Philadelphia Car Insurance for Police Officers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for a Dodge Ram in Philadelphia? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for Veterans in Philadelphia? (FAQ)
- Steps to Take After an Auto Accident (Insurance Information Institute)
- What is Full Coverage? (Allstate)