Have you fallen victim to an overpriced auto insurance policy? It’s quite common and you’re not alone.
Unbelievable but true according to a study a large majority of consumers kept buying from the same company for four years or more, and almost half have never shopped around. Philadelphia consumers could pocket roughly $690 a year by just comparing quotes, but they don’t believe the amount of savings they would get if they just switched companies. Since consumers have many choices of insurance companies that have cheaper insurance for a Chrysler 200 in Philadelphia, it is very difficult to locate a lower cost auto insurance company.
Consumers should take time to check auto insurance prices yearly because auto insurance rates change quite often. Even if you think you had the lowest premium rates on Chrysler 200 insurance in Philadelphia a year ago you may be paying too much now. There is a lot of bad advice regarding 200 insurance online, but you can learn a bunch of ideas how to slash your auto insurance rates in Philadelphia.
Do you qualify for discounts?
Car insurance can be pricey, but you may be missing some discounts to cut the cost considerably. Many of these discounts will be applied automatically when you quote, but a few must be inquired about before you get the savings. If you do not double check each discount you qualify for, you could be getting lower rates.
- Smart Student Discounts – Excelling in school may save as much as 25% on a Philadelphia auto insurance quote. The good student discount can last up until you turn 25.
- Safety Restraint Discount – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to wear their seat belts could save 15% off the PIP or medical payment premium.
- Include Life Insurance and Save – Select car insurance companies reward you with a break if you buy life insurance.
- Onboard Data Collection – Philadelphia drivers who agree to allow companies to spy on their driving habits by using a telematics device in their vehicle such as Snapshot from Progressive or Drivewise from Allstate could see a rate decrease if their driving habits are good.
- Multi-Vehicle Discounts – Drivers who insure primary and secondary vehicles on a single policy can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- No Claim Discounts – Insureds with no claims or accidents are rewarded with significantly better rates on Philadelphia auto insurance quote when compared to accident-prone drivers.
- Professional Organizations – Being a member of qualifying clubs or civic groups could earn you a nice discount when getting a Philadelphia auto insurance quote.
Drivers should understand that most discount credits are not given to all coverage premiums. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like liability and collision coverage. So even though you would think it’s possible to get free car insurance, insurance companies wouldn’t stay in business.
Popular car insurance companies and a selection of discounts are:
- State Farm includes discounts for multiple autos, driver’s education, accident-free, good student, student away at school, Steer Clear safe driver discount, and good driver.
- American Family may have discounts that include good driver, air bags, Steer into Savings, bundled insurance, mySafetyValet, and good student.
- AAA offers premium reductions for good student, multi-car, anti-theft, education and occupation, multi-policy, and good driver.
- GEICO has savings for daytime running lights, multi-policy, five-year accident-free, anti-theft, and membership and employees.
- Mercury Insurance offers discounts for multi-policy, ease of repair, good driver, age of vehicle, and annual mileage.
- Farmers Insurance offers discounts including teen driver, early shopping, electronic funds transfer, good student, and pay in full.
- Progressive has discounts for online signing, homeowner, good student, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and continuous coverage.
If you want low cost Philadelphia auto insurance quotes, ask every company how you can save money. Savings may not be offered in your area. For a list of insurance companies that provide some of the discounts listed above in Philadelphia, click here to view.
The car insurance companies shown below can provide free quotes in Philadelphia, PA. If multiple companies are shown, it’s a good idea that you compare several of them in order to find the lowest rates.
You Can Change Your Insurance Rates
Many things are taken into consideration when you get a price on insurance. Some of the criteria are obvious like an MVR report, although some other factors are less apparent like your continuous coverage or your financial responsibility.
- Your car’s features help determine rates – Owning a car that has an advanced theft prevention system can help lower your rates. Theft prevention devices such as vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems all hinder vehicle theft.
- Rural vs Urban Areas – Choosing to live in small towns and rural areas can save you money when trying to find low car insurance rates. Urban drivers have to deal with more auto accidents and much longer commute distances. Lower population means less chance of accidents in addition to lower liability claims.
- Consolidate policies with the same company – Many companies will give a discount to customers that have more than one policy, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even if you already get this discount, it’s in your best interest to shop around to verify if the discount is saving money.
- Bump up comp and collision deductibles to lower rates – Comp and collision deductibles are how much you are willing to pay if a claim is determined to be covered. Protection for physical damage, also called ‘full coverage’, is used to repair damage to your car. Examples of some claims that would be covered are colliding with a stationary object, hail damage, and damage from wind. The more you have to pay, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
- Gals pay lower rates – Statistics have proven that men are more aggressive behind the wheel. This data doesn’t prove that women are BETTER drivers than men. Females and males tend to get into auto accidents in similar numbers, but the male of the species tend to have more serious accidents. In addition to higher claims, males also receive more major tickets like driving under the influence (DUI).
Chrysler 200 insurance loss probability – Companies take into consideration insurance loss statistics for every vehicle to help calculate premium rates. Vehicles that the data determines to have higher claim frequency or loss amount will have higher rates for specific coverages. The next table shows the collected loss data for Chrysler 200 vehicles.
For each coverage category, the loss probability for all vehicles, regardless of manufacturer or model, is considered to be 100. Percentage values below 100 suggest a positive loss record, while values over 100 indicate more frequent losses or statistically larger losses.
Insurance Loss Ratings for Chrysler 200 Vehicles Vehicle Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Chrysler 200 2WD 117 113 116 174 189 152 Chrysler 200 4WD 117 112 108 127BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Tailor your insurance coverage to you
When buying a policy, there really isn’t a “best” method to buy coverage. You are unique.
Here are some questions about coverages that might help in determining if your insurance needs would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Can I afford to pay high deductible claims out of pocket?
- What if I total my Chrysler 200 and owe more than it’s worth?
- Does having multiple vehicles earn me a discount?
- Should I get collision insurance on every vehicle?
- Do I need rental car coverage?
- Am I getting all the discounts available?
- What policy terms are available?
- Does my personal policy cover me when driving out-of-state?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you might consider talking to an insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form. It is quick, free and may give you better protection.
Compare prices but buy from a local Philadelphia insurance agent
Many drivers would prefer to sit down and talk to an agent and that is not a bad decision Good insurance agents can point out coverage gaps and will help you if you have claims. An additional benefit of getting online price quotes is that drivers can save money and get cheap insurance quotes but also keep your business local.
By using this form (opens in new window), the coverage information is submitted to local insurance agents who will gladly provide quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You won’t even need to search for an agent due to the fact that quote results will go immediately to your email address. If you want to get a rate quote from one company in particular, just find their quoting web page and submit a quote form there.
Finding the right insurance company requires you to look at more than just a cheap price quote. Ask your prospective agent these questions:
- If they are an independent agency in Philadelphia, which companies do they recommend?
- By raising physical damage deductibles, how much would you save?
- Is there a 24/7 contact number?
- Do they write coverage based solely on cost?
- In the event of vehicle damage, can you pick the collision repair facility?
- Is the agency covered by Errors and Omissions coverage?
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in Pennsylvania?
If you would like to find a reputable agency, there are two different types of agents and how they can write your policy. Agencies in Philadelphia can be categorized as either exclusive agents or independent agents. Either type can write policy coverage, but it’s important to point out the difference in how they write coverage since it could factor into the type of agent you choose.
Agents in the exclusive channel can only write with one company and examples are AAA, State Farm, Farmers Insurance, and Allstate. These agents are unable to give you multiple price quotes so keep that in mind. Exclusive agents are well trained on the products they sell which can be an advantage.
Listed below is a short list of exclusive agents in Philadelphia who may provide you with price quotes.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents in the independent channel are not employed by any specific company so they have the ability to put coverage with lots of companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If premiums increase, the agent simply finds a different carrier which requires no work on your part.
When searching for an agent, we recommend you include several independent agencies to maximize your price options.
Shown below is a short list of independent insurance agents in Philadelphia that are able to give price quote information.
If you get acceptable answers to these questions and a low price estimate, it’s a good possibility that you have found a car insurance agent that meets the criteria to provide insurance coverage.
Insurance is not optional in Pennsylvania
Despite the potentially high cost of Chrysler 200 insurance, insurance is most likely required but also gives you several important benefits.
First, most states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry specific minimum amounts of liability insurance if you drive a vehicle. In Pennsylvania these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you have a loan on your 200, almost all lenders will make it a condition of the loan that you buy full coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If the policy lapses, the bank will be required to insure your Chrysler at a much higher premium rate and require you to fork over a much higher amount than you were paying before.
Third, insurance protects both your assets and your Chrysler 200. Insurance will also pay for all forms of medical expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, your policy will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of insuring your 200 more than cancel out the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. On average, a vehicle owner in Philadelphia overpays as much as $850 per year so you should quote rates at least once a year to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Quote often and quote early
Budget-friendly insurance in Philadelphia is definitely available on the web as well as from insurance agents, so get free Philadelphia auto insurance quotes from both of them so you have a total pricing picture. There are still a few companies who may not offer rates over the internet and many times these smaller companies prefer to sell through independent insurance agencies.
In this article, we presented quite a bit of information on how to compare Chrysler 200 insurance car insurance rates in Philadelphia. The most important thing to understand is the more you quote Philadelphia auto insurance, the better your comparison will be. You may even discover the lowest car insurance rates are with an unexpected company.
As you shop your coverage around, it’s not a good idea to sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. In many instances, an accident victim reduced full coverage and found out when filing a claim that it was a big mistake. The proper strategy is to buy enough coverage at an affordable rate, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
More detailed insurance information can be read at these sites:
- How Much Auto Coverage do I Need? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has the Cheapest Philadelphia Car Insurance for a Learners Permit? (FAQ)
- Side airbags reduce rollover fatalities (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Medical Payments Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Automakers compete to add autobraking (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- A Tree Fell on Your Car: Now What? (Allstate)