Nobody I know likes having to buy insurance, especially when they are aware that the price is too high.
It’s an obvious assumption that car insurance companies don’t want their customers to go rate shopping. Insureds who shop for lower prices will probably buy a new policy because they have a good chance of finding good coverage at a lower price. A recent insurance study revealed that consumers who made a habit of comparing rates saved on average $850 each year as compared to drivers who never shopped around for lower prices.
If finding the lowest price on auto insurance in Philadelphia is the reason for your visit, then learning about the best ways to find and compare car insurance can make it easier for you to save money. There are many auto insurance companies to choose from, and though it is a good thing to have a choice, more choices can make it harder to compare company pricing for Kia Sorento insurance in Philadelphia.
Buying affordable insurance in Philadelphia is not that difficult as long as you know where to start. If you have coverage now, you will definitely be able to shop for the lowest rates using the ideas you’re about to read. Comparison shoppers just have to understand the most efficient way to quote multiple rates on the web.
Get More Affordable Insurance Prices by Understanding These Factors
A large part of saving on insurance is knowing the rating factors that aid in calculating your premiums. If you have a feel for what influences your rates, this allows you to make good choices that will entitle you to big savings. Many things are part of the calculation when you get a price on insurance. Some of the criteria are obvious such as your driving record, but some are less obvious such as your credit history or your vehicle rating.
- No policy lapses saves money – Not maintaining insurance is a big no-no and you will pay a penalty because you let your insurance coverage expire. In addition to paying higher premiums, the inability to provide proof of insurance might get you a fine, jail time, or a revoked license.
- Frequent claims increase prices – Auto insurance companies in Pennsylvania provide discounts to policyholders who only file infrequent claims. If you frequently file small claims, you can expect either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Insurance coverage is meant to be used in the event of major claims that would cause financial hardship.
- Men tend to take more risk – Statistics demonstrate that women are safer drivers than men. That doesn’t necessarily mean that women are better drivers. Women and men are in fender benders in similar percentages, but the men tend to have higher claims. Men also get ticketed for serious violations such as reckless driving.
- Drive less and save – Driving a lot of miles annually the more you’ll pay to insure your vehicle. A lot of insurance companies charge rates based upon how you use the vehicle. Cars that do not get driven very much get more affordable rates than those used for commuting. It’s a smart idea to ensure your insurance coverage correctly shows the proper vehicle usage, because improper ratings can cost you money. Having the wrong rating on your Sorento is just wasting money.
- More stress means more cost – Occupational choices like military generals, social workers, and medical professionals tend to pay higher rates than the rest of us attributed to job stress and lots of time spent away from family. Conversely, jobs like scientists, historians and performers get better rates.
Kia Sorento claim probability – Companies factor in historical loss data when setting premium rates. Models that the data determines to have a trend towards higher claim severity or frequency will have higher rates. The table below illustrates the insurance loss data used by companies for Kia Sorento vehicles.
For each policy coverage, the statistical loss for all vehicles, as a total average, is represented as 100. Values that are 100 or less suggest a better than average loss history, while percentage numbers above 100 point to more frequent losses or an increased chance of larger losses than average.
Kia Sorento Insurance Loss Statistics Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Kia Sorento 4dr 2WD 80 86 82 110 111 94 Kia Sorento 4dr 4WD 85 87 101 97 98 85BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Statistics from IIHS.org for 2013-2015 Model Years
Most companies allow consumers to get price estimates direct online. Getting Kia Sorento insurance prices online is quite simple as you just enter your coverage information into a form. After the form is submitted, their quoting system will obtain information on your driving record and credit history and generates a price based on many factors. This makes it easy to compare insurance prices and it is imperative to have as many quotes as possible in order to find the most affordable premium.
To quickly find out how much you can save on car insurance, consider comparing rates from the companies shown below. To compare your current rates, we recommend you enter the coverages exactly as shown on your declarations page. Doing this assures you will have rate quotes based on identical coverages.
The companies shown below have been selected to offer price comparisons in Philadelphia, PA. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you compare several of them to get the best price comparison.
Best reasons to buy auto insurance in Pennsylvania
Despite the high cost, insurance is required by state law in Pennsylvania and it also provides benefits you may not be aware of.
First, the majority of states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific level of liability coverage if you drive a vehicle. In Pennsylvania these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you have a lien on your Sorento, more than likely the lender will require you to have comprehensive coverage to guarantee payment of the loan. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Kia at an extremely high rate and force you to pay for the expensive policy.
Third, auto insurance preserves not only your vehicle but also your financial assets. It also can pay for many types of medical costs that are the result of an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, will also pay for a defense attorney if you are sued as the result of your driving. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of having auto insurance more than cancel out the cost, especially for larger claims. But the average American driver overpays more than $865 each year so it’s recommended you shop around every year to ensure rates are inline.
Save money with these discounts on Kia Sorento insurance in Philadelphia
Car insurance is neither fun to buy or cheap, but you might be missing out on some discounts to help offset the cost. Many discounts should be triggered at the time of quoting, but some must be specifically requested before you will receive the discount.
- Safe Driver Discounts – Drivers who avoid accidents can save as much as half off their rates compared to rates paid by drivers with frequent claims.
- Club Memberships – Having an affiliation with certain professional organizations is a simple method to lower premiums on your next car insurance statement.
- No Accidents – Good drivers with no accidents are rewarded with significantly better rates on Philadelphia car insurance quote compared to frequent claim filers.
- Sign Online – A handful of car insurance companies will give a small break for buying your policy over the internet.
- Military Rewards – Having an actively deployed family member could be rewarded with lower rates.
- Air Bag Discount – Vehicles equipped with air bags or motorized seat belts may qualify for discounts up to 30%.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Drivers who require all vehicle occupants to buckle up can save a little off the personal injury premium cost.
- Philadelphia Homeowners Pay Less – Owning your own home or condo can help you save on car insurance because owning a home demonstrates responsibility.
- Good Student – This discount can earn a discount of 20% or more. The good student discount can last up until you turn 25.
It’s important to understand that most discounts do not apply to your bottom line cost. Most cut the price of certain insurance coverages like comp or med pay. So even though it sounds like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, companies don’t profit that way. Any amount of discount will lower the cost of coverage.
A few popular companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts are included below.
- 21st Century policyholders can earn discounts including anti-lock brakes, theft prevention, early bird, 55 and older, air bags, and defensive driver.
- State Farm includes discounts for accident-free, defensive driving training, good student, Steer Clear safe driver discount, anti-theft, good driver, and multiple policy.
- AAA offers discounts for multi-policy, good student, pay-in-full, good driver, anti-theft, multi-car, and education and occupation.
- Liberty Mutual has savings for new graduate, good student, safety features, newly married, multi-car, new move discount, and new vehicle discount.
- Progressive may include discounts for multi-policy, online quote discount, online signing, good student, continuous coverage, and homeowner.
When quoting, ask each company or agent which discounts can lower your rates. Some discounts listed above may not apply to policyholders in every state. If you would like to see a list of car insurance companies that offer multiple discounts in Pennsylvania, click here to view.
Local insurance agents
Some people still prefer to buy from a local agent and often times that is recommended Experienced insurance agents can answer important questions and help you file claims. A good thing about comparing rates online is the fact that you can find cheap rate quotes and still choose a local agent.
By using this form (opens in new window), your information is instantly submitted to insurance agents in Philadelphia who will return price quotes for your insurance coverage. You won’t even need to search for an agent because quoted prices will be sent directly to your email. If you want to get a price quote from a specific insurance company, feel free to navigate to their website and fill out their quote form.
Finding a good provider shouldn’t rely on just a low price. The following questions are important to ask.
- Do they specialize in personal lines auto insurance in Philadelphia?
- Does the agency have a current Errors and Omissions policy?
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- How many years have they been established?
- Do they reduce claim amounts on high mileage vehicles?
- Will they give you a referral list?
- Which companies can they place coverage with?
- If your car is in the repair shop, do you have coverage for a rental car?
After getting acceptable answers to any questions you have as well as a affordable price, you’ve probably found an insurance company that is professional and can insure your vehicles.
One last thing about your coverage
We just presented a lot of information how to lower your Kia Sorento insurance premium rates in Philadelphia. The key concept to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the higher the chance of saving money. You may even be surprised to find that the lowest premium rates come from a smaller regional carrier. Smaller companies may cover specific market segments cheaper compared to the large companies like State Farm, GEICO and Nationwide.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, it’s not a good idea to skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. Too many times, someone dropped collision coverage only to find out that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your aim should be to buy the best coverage you can find for the lowest cost, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
Other learning opportunities
- Protect Yourself Against Auto Theft (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Infrequent Drivers in Philadelphia? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Philadelphia Auto Insurance for First-time Drivers? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for a Company Car in Philadelphia? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Philadelphia Auto Insurance Quotes for a Ford Edge? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for Veterans in Philadelphia? (FAQ)
- What is Full Coverage? (Allstate)
- Booster Seat Ratings (iihs.org)
- Teen Driving and Texting (State Farm)