Having to pay for high-priced auto insurance in Philadelphia can consume your checking account and force you to make tough financial choices.
It’s shocking but most Pennsylvania auto insurance customers renewed their policy with the same company for at least four years, and nearly half have never compared rates to find cheap insurance. U.S. drivers can save $860 each year just by shopping around, but they just don’t understand how easy it is to find cheap auto insurance rates.
Companies like Progressive, State Farm and GEICO all claim big savings, bombarding you with fancy advertisements and it can be hard to separate fact from fiction and do the work needed to find the best deal.
If you currently have a car insurance policy, you stand a good chance to be able to save money using the following tips. Finding the cheapest insurance coverage in Philadelphia is really quite easy. But Pennsylvania drivers must understand how companies calculate your insurance rates and take advantage of how the system works.
To find the best insurance rates, there are several ways of comparing rates from local Philadelphia insurance companies. The quickest method to find the lowest rates consists of shopping online.
Doing online rates comparisons is so easy that it takes the place of having to spend time driving to all the different insurance agencies. The ability to quote Ford Edge insurance online eliminates the need for an insurance agent unless you want the personal advice only provided by licensed agents. Drivers can obtain prices from the web but have your policy serviced through an agent. Just keep in mind that comparing all the rates in your area helps improve the odds of finding the best price.
The car insurance companies shown below can provide quotes in Pennsylvania. If multiple companies are shown, it’s a good idea that you get rate quotes from several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Best reasons to buy car insurance in Pennsylvania
Despite the high insurance cost for a Ford Edge in Philadelphia, car insurance is required in Pennsylvania but it also protects you in many ways.
- Most states have minimum liability requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific level of liability insurance coverage in order to drive the car legally. In Pennsylvania these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your vehicle, most lenders will make it mandatory that you have physical damage coverage to guarantee payment of the loan. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank may buy a policy for your Ford for a lot more money and force you to pay the higher price.
- Car insurance protects both your assets and your vehicle. Insurance will also pay for medical bills incurred in an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also covers legal expenses if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, your car insurance policy will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of buying car insurance more than offset the price you pay, particularly if you ever have a claim. But the average American driver overpays more than $850 per year so compare rate quotes at least once a year to save money.
Rate information and statistics
The rate table shown below showcases detailed analysis of prices for Ford Edge models. Being able to understand how insurance prices are calculated is important to be able to make decisions on the best policy to buy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Edge SE 2WD||$236||$476||$428||$26||$128||$1,294||$108|
|Edge SE AWD||$236||$578||$428||$26||$128||$1,396||$116|
|Edge SEL 2WD||$236||$578||$428||$26||$128||$1,396||$116|
|Edge Limited 2WD||$236||$578||$428||$26||$128||$1,396||$116|
|Edge SEL AWD||$236||$578||$428||$26||$128||$1,396||$116|
|Edge Limited AWD||$272||$682||$428||$26||$128||$1,536||$128|
|Edge Sport 2WD||$272||$682||$428||$26||$128||$1,536||$128|
|Edge Sport AWD||$272||$682||$428||$26||$128||$1,536||$128|
|Get Your Own Customized Quote Go|
Data based on single female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Pennsylvania minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, safe-driver, multi-policy, homeowner, and claim-free. Rates do not factor in specific zip code location which can revise premium rates considerably.
The information below demonstrates how choosing different deductibles and can change Ford Edge insurance premiums for each age group. The premiums are based on a married male driver, full physical damage coverage, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Ford Edge insurance rates: Men versus women
The example below visualizes the comparison of Ford Edge car insurance rates for male and female drivers. The rates are based on no violations or accidents, full physical damage coverage, $500 deductibles, drivers are single, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Ford Edge full coverage rates compared to liability only
The chart below illustrates the comparison of Ford Edge insurance rates when comparing full coverage to liability only. The rates are based on no claims or driving citations, $500 deductibles, drivers are single, and no other discounts are factored in.
When to stop buying comprehensive and collision coverage
There is no written rule of when to phase out physical damage insurance, but there is a general school of thought. If the annual cost of your full coverage insurance is more than about 10% of the settlement you would receive from your company, then it’s probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
For example, let’s assume your Ford Edge settlement value is $8,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is damaged in an accident, the most you would receive is $7,000 after paying your policy deductible. If you are paying in excess of $700 a year for physical damage coverage, the it may be a good time to stop paying for full coverage.
There are some circumstances where eliminating full coverage is not a good idea. If you still owe a portion of the original loan, you are required to maintain full coverage as part of the loan conditions. Also, if you don’t have enough money to buy a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should not consider dropping full coverage.
Discounts for cheap auto insurance rates
Insuring your fleet can be pricey, but discounts can save money and there are some available that you may not even know about. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied when you purchase, but once in a while a discount must be inquired about before being credited.
- Renewal Discounts – Some larger companies give discounts for switching policies before your current expiration date. It’s a savings of about 10%.
- Good Students Pay Less – Being a good student can earn a discount of 20% or more. This discount can apply up to age 25.
- Multiple Policy Discount – If you have multiple policies and insure them both with the same insurance company you could get a discount of nearly 15% which can help you find cheaper Edge insurance.
- Distant Student Discount – College-age children who attend college more than 100 miles from Philadelphia and leave their car at home can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Drive Less and Save – Fewer annual miles on your Ford may allow you to get better auto insurance rates on cars that stay parked.
- ABS and Traction Control Discounts – Cars with ABS and/or traction control can avoid accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Senior Citizen Discount – If you qualify as a senior citizen, you may receive a discount up to 10%.
- Philadelphia Homeowners Discount – Owning a home in Philadelphia can get you a discount since home ownership requires a higher level of personal finance.
- No Charge for an Accident – This one isn’t a discount, but a handful of insurance companies allow you one accident before your rates go up if you are claim-free before the accident.
- Passive Restraint Discount – Factory air bags could see savings of more than 20%.
Policy discounts save money, but some of the credits will not apply to the whole policy. Most only cut specific coverage prices like liability and collision coverage. So even though you would think you can get free auto insurance, insurance companies wouldn’t stay in business.
The diagram below illustrates the comparison of Ford Edge insurance costs with and without discounts applied to the policy premium. The rates are based on a male driver, no accidents or driving violations, Pennsylvania state minimum liability limits, full coverage, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with claim-free, marriage, homeowner, multi-car, multi-policy, and safe-driver discounts applied.
Car insurance companies that possibly offer many of the previously listed discounts possibly include:
If you need the cheapest Ford Edge rate quotes, ask all the companies to apply every possible discount. Some credits might not be offered on policies in Philadelphia. To choose companies that can offer you the previously mentioned discounts in Pennsylvania, follow this link.
Compare rates but still have a local Philadelphia insurance agent
A lot of people still like to get advice from a local agent and that is just fine! One of the best bonuses of comparing rate quotes online is the fact that drivers can get cheaper premium rates but also keep your business local. And providing support for local agents is important especially in Philadelphia.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this short form, your insurance coverage information is transmitted to participating agents in Philadelphia who will give you quotes for your car insurance coverage. You won’t even need to contact any insurance agencies since rate quotes are delivered to you. Get lower rates and work with a local agent. If you wish to get a comparison quote from one company in particular, don’t hesitate to search and find their rate quote page and complete a quote there.
If you are wanting to purchase car insurance from an insurance agent, it’s important to understand the different types of agencies and how they can write your policy. Car insurance agents are considered either independent or exclusive.
Independent Car Insurance Agents (or Brokers)
Agents of this type can sell policies from many different companies so they can quote policies with many different companies depending on which coverage is best. To move your coverage to a new company, they can switch companies in-house and you don’t have to find a new agent. If you are comparing rate quotes, we highly recommend that you include at a minimum one independent agency to get the best comparison.
Featured below is a list of independent insurance agents in Philadelphia that may be able to give you free price quotes.
Agents in the exclusive channel can only quote rates from one company such as Farmers Insurance and State Farm. These agents are not able to place coverage with different providers so keep that in mind. Exclusive agents receive a lot of sales training on their products and sales techniques which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates.
The following is a list of exclusive agencies in Philadelphia willing to provide price quotes.
Picking an auto insurance agent shouldn’t rely on just the bottom line cost. Any agent in Philadelphia should be willing to answer these questions.
- Do they offer rental car reimbursement?
- Is every driver in your family covered?
- Is insurance their full-time profession?
- Does the agent recommend any additional coverage?
- Will the quote change when the policy is issued?
- Will you be dealing directly with the agent or with a Custom Service Representative (CSR)?
- Do they regularly work with personal auto policies in Philadelphia?
- Which insurance companies are they affiliated with?
You may need specialized car insurance coverage
When it comes to proper insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really isn’t a single plan that fits everyone. Every situation is different.
For instance, these questions may help highlight if you would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- How much liability insurance is required?
- I have good health insurance, so how much medical payments coverage do I need?
- If my Ford Edge is totaled, can I afford another vehicle?
- Do I pay less for low miles?
- Why do I only qualify for high-risk insurance?
- Can I insure my car for more than it’s worth?
- Is upholstery damage covered by car insurance?
- Is my custom paint covered by insurance?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you know they apply to you, you may need to chat with an insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form.
Quote often and quote early
Insureds who switch companies do it for a number of reasons such as unfair underwriting practices, policy non-renewal, being labeled a high risk driver or even high rates after DUI convictions. Whatever your reason, switching companies can be easier than you think.
We just presented a lot of tips how to compare Ford Edge insurance auto insurance rates in Philadelphia. The most important thing to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the better chance you’ll have of finding affordable Ford Edge insurance quotes. Consumers could even find that the lowest priced car insurance comes from a small local company.
As you prepare to switch companies, you should never reduce coverage to reduce premium. There are too many instances where consumers will sacrifice liability coverage limits to discover at claim time that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your goal should be to buy enough coverage at the best price, but do not skimp to save money.
More tips and info about car insurance is located in these articles:
- Safe Vehicles for Teens (iihs.org)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for 4×4 Vehicles in Philadelphia? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for Good Students in Philadelphia? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for a 20 Year Old Male in Philadelphia? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Quotes for a Chevrolet Malibu in Philadelphia? (FAQ)
- Safety Features for Your New Car (State Farm)
- What is Gap Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- State Laws for Cellphones and Texting (iihs.org)