No one is fond of buying insurance, especially when they know the price is too high.
Unbelievable but true, almost 70% of drivers have bought insurance from the same company for a minimum of four years, and virtually 40% of consumers have never compared rates from other carriers. Many drivers in Pennsylvania could save themselves roughly $690 a year by just comparing quotes, but they assume it’s a waste of time to go online and compare rates. Lots of car insurance companies contend for your business, and because of this it can be hard to compare insurers to get the best rates possible on Saturn Sky insurance in Philadelphia.
You need to get comparison quotes every six months because prices trend upward over time. Just because you had the lowest price on Saturn Sky insurance in Philadelphia at your last renewal you can probably find a better rate now. You can find a lot of wrong information about Sky insurance online but in this article, you’re going to get some great ways to lower your insurance bill.
The companies shown below provide free quotes in Philadelphia, PA. If multiple companies are shown, it’s highly recommended you visit several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Car insurance is not optional but you don’t have to overpay
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a Saturn Sky in Philadelphia, insurance is required in Pennsylvania but it also protects you in many ways.
- Just about all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to carry a specific minimum amount of liability in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Pennsylvania these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Saturn Sky has a lienholder, most lenders will stipulate that you buy full coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If the policy lapses, the bank will be required to insure your Saturn at a more expensive rate and make you pay much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance safeguards both your Saturn and your personal assets. It will also reimburse you for hospital and medical expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. Liability insurance also covers legal expenses if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of having insurance definitely exceed the price paid, especially when you need to use it. According to a recent study, the average American driver is overpaying over $820 a year so you should quote your policy with other companies once a year at a minimum to ensure rates are inline.
Smart Consumers Know How to Get Car Insurance Cheaper
Many factors are used when quoting car insurance. Some factors are common sense like a motor vehicle report, although others are more obscure like your vehicle usage or your vehicle rating.
Liability coverage – The liability coverage on your policy provides coverage in the event that you are ruled to be at fault for an accident. Liability insurance provides legal defense up to the limits shown on your policy. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap compared to physical damage coverage, so do not cut corners here.
Cheaper prices using theft deterrents – Buying a car with a theft deterrent system can help lower your rates. Anti-theft devices like vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems all hinder auto theft.
Your gender affects premiums – Over the last 50 years, statistics have shown females are less aggressive when driving. This data doesn’t prove that women are better drivers. Both genders tend to get into accidents at about the same rate, but men cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. Men also tend to have more aggressive citations such as driving while intoxicated (DWI) or driving recklessly. Youthful male drivers have the highest risk to insure and therefore pay the highest rates.
Cars with good safety ratings are cheaper to insure – Vehicles that have high safety ratings tend to be cheaper to insure. Vehicles engineered for safety reduce occupant injuries and any reduction in injury severity translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims passed on to you as lower rates.
Don’t let your car insurance lapse – Driving your car without having proper coverage is a big no-no and your next policy will cost more because you let your coverage have a gap. Not only will you pay more, the inability to provide proof of insurance can result in a license revocation or jail time.
What type of car, truck or SUV do you drive? – The make and model of the car you are buying insurance for makes a significant difference in your car insurance bill. Low performance passenger cars generally have the cheapest insurance rates, but that’s not the only thing that factors into the final price.
Save money by raising comp and collision deductibles – Insurance for physical damage to your car, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, is used to repair damage to your Saturn. Some examples of covered claims would be collision with another vehicle, hail damage, or theft. Your deductibles are the amount of money you are willing to pay if you file a covered claim. The more money the insured has to pay upfront, the less your car insurance will be.
Marriage is a factor – Getting married can actually save you money on car insurance. It usually means you are more mature it has been statistically shown that married couples file fewer claims.
Check for these rate reducing discounts
Car insurance companies don’t always publicize every discount in an easy-to-find place, so we researched some of the best known in addition to some of the lesser obvious discounts that may be available. If you aren’t receiving every discount possible, you are throwing money away.
- Sign Early and Save – Some companies provide a discount for renewing your policy before your current expiration date. You can save around 10% with this discount.
- Save with More Vehicles Insured – Buying insurance for all your vehicles on one policy can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- Passive Restraint Discount – Cars that have air bags or automatic seat belts can qualify for discounts as much as 30%.
- Driver’s Ed – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to successfully take a driver’s education course as it will make them better drivers and lower rates.
- Multi-line Discount – Not every insurance company offers life insurance, but if they do you may earn a break if you buy life insurance.
- Discounts for Safe Drivers – Drivers who avoid accidents can save as much as half off their rates compared to accident prone drivers.
- Early Payment Discounts – If you pay your entire premium ahead of time instead of paying each month you may have a lower total premium amount.
- Student in College – College-age children who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from Philadelphia and don’t have a car may be insured at a cheaper rate.
One last thing about discounts, many deductions do not apply to the entire policy premium. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. Despite the fact that it seems like it’s possible to get free car insurance, insurance companies aren’t that generous.
Some of the larger companies who might offer some of the discounts shown above possibly include:
If you need inexpensive Philadelphia auto insurance quotes, ask all companies you are considering the best way to save money. Discounts might not be offered in Philadelphia. For a list of insurance companies that can offer you the previously mentioned discounts in Philadelphia, click this link.
Neighborhood insurance agents
A small number of people just prefer to sit down with an agent and that is a smart decision Experienced insurance agents are highly skilled in risk management and will help you if you have claims. One of the great benefits of comparing rate quotes online is you may find the best rates but still work with a licensed agent.
After filling out this short form, the coverage information is emailed to agents in your area that give free quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. There is no reason to contact an agency because quoted prices will be sent to you instantly. In the event you want to compare rates from a specific insurance provider, don’t hesitate to visit that company’s website and complete a quote there.
Choosing an company is decision based upon more than just the quoted price. A good agent in Philadelphia will have answers to these questions.
- Do they offer claims assistance after hours?
- Does the agent help file claims?
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
- Will you be dealing directly with the agent or with a Custom Service Representative (CSR)?
- What is the agency’s Better Business Bureau rating?
If you’re trying to find a local agent, you should know the different types of agents to choose from. Insurance policy providers may be either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer. Both types of agents can properly insure your vehicles, but we need to point out the difference in the companies they write for because it can impact which agent you choose.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents that choose to be exclusive can only provide one company’s prices such as Allstate and State Farm. Exclusive agents cannot place coverage with different providers so you might not find the best rates. Exclusive agents are trained well on the products they sell which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
Shown below are Philadelphia exclusive insurance agencies who may provide you with rate quotes.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents that choose to be independent can quote rates with many companies so they have the ability to put coverage amongst many companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. To transfer your coverage to a different company, the business is moved internally and you don’t have to switch agencies.
If you are trying to find cheaper rates, it’s recommended you include price quotes from multiple independent agents for the best price selection.
The following are Philadelphia independent agents that are able to give rate quotes.
Keep this in mind when shopping around
In this article, we presented a lot of ways to reduce Saturn Sky insurance car insurance rates online in Philadelphia. The most important thing to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the higher your chance of finding affordable Philadelphia auto insurance quotes. Drivers may even discover the best price on insurance is with a small local company. They often have lower premium rates on specific markets compared to the large companies like State Farm or Progressive.
While you’re price shopping online, it’s very important that you do not buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There have been many cases where an insured cut physical damage coverage only to regret that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. The proper strategy is to buy enough coverage at a price you can afford, not the least amount of coverage.
For more information, feel free to visit the resources below:
- How Much Auto Coverage do I Need? (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much is Car Insurance for Drivers with Bad Credit in Philadelphia? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Philadelphia Car Insurance for Electric Cars? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for High Mileage Drivers in Philadelphia? (FAQ)
- What is a Telematics Device? (Allstate)
- Tread Depth and Tire Safety (State Farm)