Have you had enough of paying out the nose to pay your car insurance bill each month? Your situation is no different than many other Pennsylvania consumers.
Sad but true, most car insurance buyers have stayed with the same insurance company for four years or more, and approximately 38% of consumers have never shopped around. The average driver in Philadelphia can cut their rates by about 55% a year just by shopping around, but they don’t understand how simple it is to compare rate quotes online. Big companies like State Farm, GEICO and Farmers Insurance persitently shower you with ad campaigns and consumers find it hard to see through the cute green geckos and mayhem and effectively compare rates to find the best deal.
If you have a policy now or just want a better rate, you will benefit by learning to cut your premiums and still get good coverage. Buying the cheapest car insurance in Philadelphia is not that difficult as long as you know where to start. Smart shoppers just have to learn the least time-consuming way to compare company rates online.
Insurance discounts help lower rates
Buying insurance is not cheap, but you might be missing out on some discounts that many people don’t even know exist. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically at the time of purchase, but a few need to be inquired about before you get the savings.
- Paperless Signup – Certain insurance companies will provide an incentive for buying a policy and signing up on the internet.
- Federal Employees – Active or retired federal employment can save as much as 8% with select insurance companies.
- Onboard Data Collection – Insureds that choose to allow data collection to look at their driving habits by using a telematics device such as Drivewise from Allstate or Snapshot from Progressive may get a rate reduction if they have good driving habits.
- Discount for Passive Restraints – Options like air bags or motorized seat belts may qualify for discounts as much as 30%.
- Active Military Service – Being deployed with a military unit may lower your insurance rates slightly.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Not every insurance company offers life insurance, but if they do you may earn a discount if you purchase some life insurance in addition to your auto policy.
- Club Memberships – Affiliation with qualifying clubs or civic groups is a good way to get lower rates on your next insurance statement.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Fewer annual miles can earn slightly better premium rates than normal.
It’s important to note that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the whole policy. A few only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So when the math indicates adding up those discounts means a free policy, it’s just not the way it works.
A list of insurance companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are shown below.
- Progressive may have discounts that include continuous coverage, multi-policy, good student, online quote discount, homeowner, multi-vehicle, and online signing.
- MetLife may offer discounts for defensive driver, good student, good driver, claim-free, multi-policy, and accident-free.
- Mercury Insurance discounts include multi-car, multi-policy, type of vehicle, annual mileage, ease of repair, location of vehicle, and anti-theft.
- Nationwide has savings for accident-free, Farm Bureau membership, defensive driving, good student, family plan, and business or organization.
- GEICO policyholders can earn discounts including five-year accident-free, anti-theft, good student, air bags, daytime running lights, and seat belt use.
- AAA includes discounts for multi-car, education and occupation, pay-in-full, good driver, and AAA membership discount.
Double check with each insurance company to apply every possible discount. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not be available in every state.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Malibu LT||$780||$390||$65|
|Chevrolet Silverado LT Extended Cab 4WD||$766||$383||$64|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab SLT 2WD||$834||$417||$70|
|Ford Escape Limited 4WD||$704||$352||$59|
|Ford Explorer XLT 4WD||$726||$363||$61|
|Ford F-150 XL Crew Cab 4WD||$740||$370||$62|
|Ford Focus S 4-Dr Sedan||$750||$375||$63|
|Honda Accord LX 4-Dr Sedan||$648||$324||$54|
|Honda CR-V EX-L 2WD||$664||$332||$55|
|Honda Civic SI 4-Dr Sedan||$846||$423||$71|
|Honda Odyssey EX-L W/Navigation||$806||$403||$67|
|Kia Optima LX||$820||$410||$68|
|Mazda 3 I Sport 4-Dr Sedan||$766||$383||$64|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 S 2-Dr Coupe||$874||$437||$73|
|Nissan Rogue S AWD||$820||$410||$68|
|Toyota Camry Hybrid||$874||$437||$73|
|Toyota Corolla XRS||$820||$410||$68|
|Get Rate Quotes for Your Vehicle Go|
Data assumes married female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and Pennsylvania minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, multi-policy, safe-driver, claim-free, and homeowner. Rate quotes do not factor in specific garaging location which can modify coverage prices significantly.
Lowering your insurance rates is actually quite simple. Consumers just need to take the time comparing rate quotes online with multiple companies.
It’s so fast and easy to compare price quotes online that it makes it obsolete to physically go to insurance agents’ offices. The ability to quote insurance online reduces the need to sit down with an agent unless you have a complicated situation and need the trained advice of a licensed agent. You can, however, compare the best prices online but buy from a local Philadelphia insurance agent.
The auto insurance companies shown below are ready to provide price comparisons in Philadelphia, PA. If more than one company is shown, we suggest you visit several of them to get the best price comparison.
Which policy gives me the best coverage?
When it comes to choosing proper insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is no “best” method to buy coverage. Every insured’s situation is different.
For instance, these questions may help you determine whether or not you would benefit from professional advice.
- Does coverage extend to Mexico or Canada?
- Should I bundle my homeowners policy with my auto?
- Does my vehicle qualify for pleasure use?
- How much coverage applies to personal belongings?
- Are my custom wheels covered?
- Do all my vehicles need collision coverage?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but one or more may apply to you then you might want to talk to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form. It only takes a few minutes and may give you better protection.
Insurance agents can help
Many people just prefer to buy from a local agent and doing so can bring peace of mind Good agents can make sure you are properly covered and help you file claims. A nice benefit of comparing rate quotes online is you may find the best rates and also buy local. And supporting neighborhood insurance agencies is still important in Philadelphia.
After completing this short form, the coverage information is sent to local insurance agents that can provide free Philadelphia car insurance quotes for your insurance coverage. You never need to contact any agents due to the fact that quote results will go directly to your email. If you want to quote rates from a particular provider, you can always search and find their rate quote page and fill out their quote form.
If you need to find an insurance agent, it’s important to understand the types of agencies and how they work. Insurance agents in Philadelphia are categorized either exclusive agents or independent agents. Both can write insurance policies, but it’s important to know the subtle differences since it may influence your agent selection.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
These type of agents are not employed by one company so they can insure your vehicles through many different insurance companies and find you cheaper rates. If you are not satisfied with one company, they simply switch companies in-house and you don’t have to find a new agent. If you are comparing rate quotes, you should always get several quotes from at least one independent agent for the best price selection.
Listed below are Philadelphia independent agents that may be able to provide free price quotes.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be exclusive work for only one company and examples are State Farm, Allstate, and Farm Bureau. They are unable to compare other company’s rates so they really need to provide good service. These agents are trained well on sales techniques which helps them compete with independent agents.
Shown below is a list of exclusive agents in Philadelphia that can give you rate quotes.
Selecting an car insurance agent needs to be determined by more than just the quoted price. You should also get answers to these questions.
- What are the financial ratings for the companies they represent?
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in Pennsylvania?
- Do you have coverage for a rental car if your vehicle is in the repair shop?
- Do they assist clients in filing claims?
- Is the agent CPCU or CIC certified?
- Does the quote include credit and driving reports?
- Will they give you a referral list?
- Do they review policy coverages at every renewal?
Cheap insurance is out there
When searching for low cost Philadelphia car insurance quotes, make sure you don’t buy less coverage just to save a little money. There are many occasions where consumers will sacrifice liability coverage limits only to discover later that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. Your goal should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the best possible price but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
We just covered many ways to compare insurance prices in Philadelphia. The most important thing to understand is the more quotes you get, the better likelihood of getting cheaper Philadelphia car insurance quotes. You may even be surprised to find that the lowest prices come from some of the lesser-known companies.
Drivers change insurance companies for any number of reasons including delays in paying claims, high rates after DUI convictions, high prices or delays in responding to claim requests. It doesn’t matter why you want to switch finding a new company can be easy and end up saving you some money.
For more information, link through to the following helpful articles:
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Infrequent Drivers in Philadelphia? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Philadelphia Car Insurance for a Learners Permit? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Rates for a Jeep Wrangler in Philadelphia? (FAQ)
- What if I Can’t Find Coverage? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Five Steps to Filing an Auto Insurance Claim (Insurance Information Institute)
- Driving in Bad Weather (Insurance Information Institute)